Patacara Community Services is a faith based nonprofit offering compassionate and respectful care to those who are suffering. Originally inspired by the teachings of Buddhism, we are an interfaith, all-volunteer, grassroots community that values, liberation, wisdom, community, service, generosity, compassion, interdependence, ethical conduct, equanimity, and kindness.
Currently, we are fiscally sponsoring three projects: Fabian's Fund, The Hawk Foundation, and Social Enterprising Association.
We are available to fiscally sponsor emergent, grassroots projects that share our values. If you would like partner with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patacara (pronounced Pah-tah-char-ah) Community Services is named after Patacara, who was one of the first Buddhist nuns. As a young woman, Patacara lost everything. Her husband, children, and parents all died in a series of unexpected and tragic events. Crazed with grief, she wandered naked and destitute, without family or a home, until the townspeople took pity on her and guided her to where the Buddha was teaching. He looked at her kindly and said, “Sister, recover your presence of mind.” Her lucid mind returned and with the Buddha’s help, she began her journey back to wholeness. She eventually became enlightened and one of the most respected and beloved teachers of her generation, with a special gift for being able to help people overwhelmed by grief and despair, as she once had been. In remembering Patacara, we honor all of those who have passed through grief and trauma to wholeness and liberation.
- We celebrate all of the world’s spiritual and ethical traditions, and strive to work together with cooperation, harmony, patience, and humility. Our work is interfaith and open to people of all traditions and philosophies who share our values.
- We strive to overcome anger, greed, and confusion and manifest kindness, generosity, and wisdom.
- Because all beings have the capacity for basic goodness, we work together to create environments that bring out the best in people, by treating every person with respect and compassion.
- Because systems of oppression are rooted in greed and delusion and cause suffering, we strive to end racism, classism, sexism, and homophobia.
- We honor the inherent wisdom of all cultures, including cultures that have been marginalized and dispossessed. We believe that communities can solve their own problems when they have the resources and support that they need and deserve.
- We work together to create a world in which all beings have what they need and share the earth’s resources in peace with mutual love and respect.