Food Creates Community
We have discovered that preparing and delivering food for people who are unhoused is a good way to make connections with our fellow human beings. Not only do we help to meet a fundamental need – adequate nutrition – but we create a channel through which communication and understanding can flow.
The Patacara Meals program collects food from various sources, cooks in various kitchens, and delivers to various places. We provide about 200 meals per week, best guess. We are allied with several other community cooking efforts including:
- Rainier Popup Kitchen – Sunday sidewalk meal at 3:00 PM, on Rainier Ave. S at I-90
- St. Dunstan’s Food Ministry – Tuesday community meal by Chef Josef Hinkofer at 5:30 PM, and delivering to 6 homeless camps
- Hillman City Collaboratory – Daily drop-in breakfast.
There are three specific ways you can participate in the Patacara Meals program:
- Cook in your kitchen at home for Camp Second Chance, or another camp
- Cook with us on Wednesday afternoons at the Hillman City Collaboratory
- Make sandwiches (peanut butter & jelly, meat & cheese, or tuna salad) to distribute in unauthorized encampments.
If you would like to participate in the Patacara Meals program, please contact David Baum – North King County Program Manager – at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see our activities in the right-hand column, and please consider making a tax-deductible donation to support the Meals program.